Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Critique call- watercolor witches!

Hey there, ye few and proud who actually still comment on blogs.

A few nights ago I got all hopped up on cocoa and went on a serious watercolor bender and made a  donkeycart of paintings. Well. I sort of half-made a donkeycart of paintings. One of the unfortunate effects of paint is that it takes time to draw and by the time it's ready for the next step that fickle jerk Inspiration is partying with someone else (or possibly in a coma, Inspiration never explains its own absconsion) and I end up staring at half-finished pieces that I almost, but don't quite, know how to finish.

So hey, all comments and suggestions welcome! And if nothing else, perhaps shaming myself by posting this horribly unfinished stuff will get me back in the studio on this fine sunny day.








Oh man, I need to fix that hand. A LOT. Fortunately watercolor will let me do that. Aside from that, though-ideas?

6 comments:

Cal said...

No ideas, sorry, but I like the colors a lot! And the movement the pictures have. The pumpkin witch rocks!

Unknown said...

It's hard to critique something that is still in progress. Actually, it's just hard for me to critique stuff (even my own ;).

I dig the colors in the first one, and am curious to know more of this character's story. The second is my favorite -- I love the movement, motion and intensity! Then again, I have a thing for birds. You had me at "soaring bird".

I think pumpkin witch needs to be fleshed out more before I decide how I feel about her ... I don't dislike her, I'm just kinda neutral at this point.

Just my 2¢, which is worth that or even less, compared to how you feel about these pieces. Do you like them?

Unknown said...

And I just re-read your title, and realized that where I see a soaring bird is actually a witch. Heh. Rorshach test, anyone?

It is still my favorite.

Carapace said...

Cal- Thank you!This excercise really was about the colors, an area I feel I really haven't explored half enough.

Drea- I feel the same way about Pumpkin Witch, actually...I really LIKE all of these, but I'm not in love with any of them yet. I'm afraid overworking them will kill the part I like, but I have to polish them up if I'm ever gonna love them, you know?

I'm delighted that you got Soaring Bird from my November Witch! I was trying very hard to keep the image suggestive and loose and not pin it down too hard- I want a certain elemental feel on these. So, yay!

AJ said...

They definitely all deserve to be finished... just not sure what advice to give you on HOW to finish them, since I know zip about painting. The second one is definitely my favorite, I love the suggestion of motion in it.

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

No ideas, sorry, but the purple and blue one is right up my ally! BTW - this is Ruthie at my new blog :P