Thursday, May 21, 2009

Blog Carnival: Summer Line

First off, if any commenters still want to join the Halloween PIF, there's room for ooooone more. Just leave a comment in the post under this.

Ahem.

I am in grief, because I missed the last Etsybloggers blog carnival. Alack, because it was about fairy tales, and if you like hearing me ramble (and if you don't, why on earth are you visiting my blog? Rambling and occasional sketches are all I offer here!), well, you are grieving too, because there is seriously a hundred years worth of prattling to be had off fairy tales.

But this carnival is, conveniently, about my New Stuff for the Summer * and my new stuff for the summer is apparently going to be heavy on the fairy tales! Yay! In fact, check out these early sketches:



Oh boy, doesn't that look promising! Hah, I kid. Early sketches always look like someone kicked muddy sticks on a page. Mine do, anyway. Maybe yours look like Degas layouts, I don't wanna know.

Anyway, can you guess who they are? I bet not, because that's a rough sketch, and it looks like mud! But in the stage it's at now, that's a really rather pleasing composition of Snow White and Rose Red.

I always liked Snow White and Rose Red a lot better than just the Snow White story. True, it's missing the wonderfully wicked Stepmother, and the disturbing fact of the dwarves, but it replaces them with an evil gnome, a talking bear, and sisterhood with axes. Better deal all around, and that's before we even get to the color contrast. The Grimms and their translators did some fantastic things with very basic language, and that's coming from someone whose favorite authors are mostly in the grand Dickensian tradition**.

Anyway, I seem to be on a kick illustrating the stories of my childhood. I don't expect I'll be doing a lot of the Disney-famed stories-- they aren't the interesting ones, anyhow. But The Girl With Golden Hands? Brave Little Tailor? Mother Hulde? Oh heck yeah. I'm getting itchy sketchin' fingers just thinking about them.***

There's also going to be a new set of clays in my shop, with a little more potential usefulness. Over on this blog, there's going to be, well, prattling about fairy tales, some con stories, and not a few photos, if all goes as planned. And sometime-- I'm not saying when-- a great big enormous summer sale! So stick around, this'll be the best summer ever at Caramakes!****

*Well, it was that or birthday stuff, and my birthday stories are kinda depressing.

**Tell me more about the bottle on the windowsill! Exactly what shade of green is it, and how does this reflect the nature of society, again?

***Dear Disney: Unless you're willing to have the mutilation scene in full glory, leave Golden Hands and Mother Hulde alone. Thank you.

*** Also the second summer ever. So it's an easy promise to keep.

8 comments:

TiLT said...

yippee! looking forward to seeing the REAL fairy tales through your work :)
I was going to be playing with childhood tales too this summer - but for stuff I'm trying out just for me, not the shop.
Can't wait to see what you make!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with Cara!

Carapace said...

Thanks, TiLT and Roseworks! It's no fun to work without an audience, you know.:D

TiLT- What are you doing for "just you"? I'm very curious now!

Linda said...

I've already played on Julies on Mermaidmaiden, but if I count as the 3rd then youre done and you can play on mine. You could be the first as its a new blog and pretty unseen.
http://pyewacketts.blogspot.com/
Lindax

Sue said...

Cara, looking forward to seeing your "muddy stick" (love that!) transform. Fairy tales are the best!

Hey, happy belated birthday!

Splendid Little Stars said...

I loved fairy tales when I was a kid--read, and read, and read them.
(PS Is your name actually Cara?)

storybeader said...

I hope you give a little tale with your illustrations. I'd like to read the story with you!

Carapace said...

Sue-- Did I imply it was my birthday somewhere? I do apologize if so. No no, my birthday is in August! When there is nothing else happening, so everyone can take some time and just revel in how awesome I am. Or not.

Little Stars- No, my name's not actually Cara.:)Even my online name isn't actually Cara, it's Carapace. But it splits well.

Story- I always give stories with my pictures! You've seen my shop! I'm shocked and stunned by the very idea that I could shut up.