Sunday, April 12, 2009

Raccooooooons!

I may have mentioned that we have a family of raccoons that has lived under the trailer for generations. They are not afraid of us, not the way deer or squirrels are, but not comfortable with us either. Raccoons are pretty solitary even with each other, you see.
But they do come up to the step, and my husband sometimes gives them a cracker or bit of fruit. Which they take and bolt. See above about being solitary. But one last night was bolder than most, and when my husband moved a cracker from the step...to the porch...to the bit of living room inside the doorway...it followed him. Each time it got a cracker; each time it scarpered away to the bottom of the steps to eat.
Until, finally, he didn't set the cracker down at all. He just held it out.
And the raccoon reached out, grabbed it with its own paws....and ran all the way to the gate, like a little kid who's just touched the doorknob on the haunted house.
Hence:

7 comments:

AMOzarkian said...

Okay, this is wonderful. Also - I have to say that in addition to your wonderful artistic talents (which are massive!), the other reason I love your shop and blog and everything you do is your amazing storytelling ability. Your listing in your Etsy shop are so detailed and wonderful. Everything about your work is so special and magical - I love it all! Cheers and hugs to you!

Carapace said...

Ah, talent. There's a subject for a post waiting to happen...

You're such a cheering person, AMO! Thanks for saying something about the descriptions-- I put a lot of work into them and it's nice to know they're appreciated.

I like that you're sharing your writing on your blog, too!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

That Racoon is sooo cute!

Memories for Life said...

My boyfriend's parents used to have a raccoon as a pet! So now anytime he sees one he tries to feed it :)

Carapace said...

Roseworks, it would take a far far better artist than myself to do justice to the cuteness of 'coons. They are a wurfling ball of adorable. With teefs, sadly, so I don't dare just huggle on them the way I want to.

Memories- Understand, I'm fond of my cat, but I am now dizzy with jealousy over your brother's raccoon. How did he get one? Care for it? Keep it out of the sensitive areas of the house? You can't leave us hanging!:D
Also, thanks! for stopping by.

Becky said...

Oh that's a lovely story! Sometimes they come under our deck, if my DH left a bag of corn under there! :D

uniquecommodities said...

lovely drawing!