Friday, October 17, 2008

Daily Sketch: Dentist!

Gyah, missed yesterday! Hope I didn't worry anyone too much.

I'll catch up later, but here's the sketch for today:



I have a peculiar affection for dentists. Their work is so straightforward, like a sort of medical carpentry. And I like the little birds that dentist* in the mouths of giant (relative to them) monsters.

Hence, this picture, which is about half- done.

*In English, any noun can verb. Try it!

The lovely MVincent- Mannie of Mannie's Mandibles has tagged me once more! Hurrah! In keeping with today's sketch, I'll make mine medical:

1. I had reverse headgear and a palate spreader for three years. Right in the awkward tween years. Gangly, uncoordinated, shooting people with rubber bands when they broke off my sharp metal chin-prongs. constantly drooling-- oh yeah, I was a charmer. I knew I could never believe anything my mom said when she insisted I was *still* an attractive child. Love you mom, but you were lyyyying! Or possibly insane.

2. I wanted to be a surgeon when I was a teenager. I still would like to be able to do that, but it's not a physical possibity ("I shoot with this hand"-watch Blazing Saddles, you'll get what I mean).

3. Relevant to #2, I have dissected:
two fetal pigs
3 frogs
a cat
2 rats

All before my junior year of high school. I do in fact know where the spleen is and what it should look like.

4. I have never broken a bone. I have dislocated every single joint in my body at some point, with the possible exception of the cranial suture (the joint in the top of the skull).

5. I can usually reset any joint I happen to dislocate, except my ribs. Anyone with good tips on self-manipulating their ribcage, there's a population of EDSers waiting to give you a prize.

6. I am missing a tooth. This is not because of poor hygiene, or even my usual native weak enamel, but because the tooth just failed to show up after its original baby version disappeared.

7. I have been stung by bees, wasps, and scorpions several times, and it just gives me a bit of a buzz and makes me giggly. But booze makes me pass right the heck out; I can't even drink enough to get a hangover. I have no idea why this is, since biochemistry is not my thing. But as alcohol is easier to avoid than scorpions in my life, I'll take it!

5 comments:

TiLT said...

OOOHHH...will this one be in your shop? My dad is a DDS :) So, I love dentists...well, one at least.

have to comment on some of you "secrets"...I've also dissected the pig & frog (put a tube down into the lung to inflate them - way cool), plus a shark (about 1 ft long. oh, and a person - well, watched most, helped with some (gross anatomy pre-med)...
No broken bones!?! I claim each limb (tho' not at the same time)...
and remind us not to take you out for drinks!

any pics of the headgear you? musta been bee-U-ti-full ;)

Carapace said...

I think this will be in my shop as a print; I can always make one just for you, no problem!

Isn't dissection cool? It felt so thrilling to see how things really fit together. What were you in pre-med for?

And however did you break every limb?!?

No pics of me on the blog, remember;)?

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

OOO - I had three, count them THREE, palate spreaders! Hate those things...

Mannie of MannieMandible said...

I love the dentist (: I love how clean my mouth feels after visiting one, lol. I like this sketch; BIG monster, little dentist, it's brillant! And thanks for linking me (:

<3 Mannie
MVincent.etsy.com

Carapace said...

Roseworks- THREE? Good heavens, why so many? I just had the one, but it stayed for three years. I'm so glad it happened when I was a kid, you know? I'd hate to have done that now, when I've got a better memory and stiffer bones.

Mannie- I love the dentist too! I always know what's happening at the dentist, they never think I'm making up problems, and sometimes I get a free toothbrush. I think doctors would be more popular if they gave out free thermometers or something:D.