Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sketch # 5: Agnes and Vlad

Time for the Octobery stuff! And what could be more in season than a witch and vampire?




Inspired when someone wanted Discworld fanart, and I had to face the realization that I have never drawn anything Discworld. I've always been so satisfied with the Paul Kidby stuff, I figured anything I drew would be trying too hard to ape his designs (or orang them, I guess), so I never tried.

But I've never seen him do Agnes, so I was free! Bwahaha!

I love Agnes. She is an honest to goodness FAT female hero. Not plump, or overweight, or buxom and insecure. FAT, specified several times. And it actually affects the way people treat her, and the way she sees herself. She's not a Catchy-style weight-obsessed idiot, it's just a part of her life, like being tall or having a broken tooth. And she is a Pratchett hero, of course, so she gets to have all this real life stuff and kick butt at the same time, in very female fashion.

My feelings about Vampires, at least the modern prettified version, are rather different and less positive. But there will be other sketches to discuss that.

If you haven't read the Discworld books, do, right now. They are better than anything else you could be doing with your time.

If you have read them- hey, what do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome sketch! Great brush strokes. I'm sure I've read at least one of the Discworld books, but I'll have to investigate them more. Agnes sounds like an intriguing character.

Anonymous said...

Ohgodirememberthis! Pardon me while I sqwee. <3 Agnes/Perdita never did get enough love. While not my favorite of the witches, I do adore her. I love the build of the body, but I always imagined her with longer hair. Hmmm...

The vampire is good. I rather like him, in the smarmy-over-dramatic kind of way. If you ever plan on developing this more, you could do changed shadows showing the end results of this encounter. Namely, the vamp on the ground twitching and Agnes storming off talking to herself. Or maybe I just want to see a comic of this.

The only Discworld I've ever drawn are Death, the Death of Rats, and Susan. I should change that.

Crickets Creations: Handcrafted Fashion Accessory Scarves and Fringies Professional Photo Portrait Props said...

I have no idea what you're talking about...but I loves ya, anyway! ;)
Celeste (Crickets)

Carapace said...

Ohjeez, all ya'll who haven't read the Discworld books? DO IT. Go to Amazon right now and grab some! These are the books with the witches in, in order:

Wyrd Sisters
Witches Abroad
Lords and Ladies
Maskerade
Carpe Jugulum

As you might guess, that last one is the one this picture is from.

Ruby, she totally has long hair, but it's under the hat:). SHe's a nice practical girl, our Agnes.

If I redid the shadows, it would be for Perdita's sake;).

Mannie of MannieMandible said...

Great sketch, of course, Cara! I've never read the books your talking about! What's the author's name? I'll try to pick them up at the library/bookstore!

Carapace said...

MV (and everyone!) the author's name is Pratchett.

So many Pratchettless people...I sense a contest coming on....