Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Snake Dance


The Minoans, the Cretans, the original residents of the Greek islands, had a rather more openminded view of whole snake-woman-oracle thing. And rather more open tops. Not much is known about them, because the victors write the history books...but the latter day Greeks were shocked, SHOCKED by the way those horrible primitives let their women move around and speak and act like PEOPLE. Surely immoral!

I don't know, I've seen the art. I know where I'd rather live. Especially since they apparently also had rodeos! Yeehaw!

6 comments:

TiLT said...

Imagine, letting women be people...who'd a thunk it?
Beautiful piece again Cara! Lovin' those bright colors.

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Love the colors in this one!

Carapace said...

Tilt- isn't it scandalous? Any day now they'll stop exposing infants! Then how will we control our population?

Rose: Tenk Yes, my dear!;)

agoodwitchtoo said...

I'm lovin' the black background on your sketches and how the colors just POP!

Anonymous said...

Yes...TiLt...imagine that concept! Especially since there would be no people w/o us!!!

Cara, lovely work. Thank you for sharing.

~Lily

Carapace said...

Witchy- Thanks, I'm becoming addicted myself!

Tulip: Gah, it drives me crazy about most history books! "And how did early MAN develop writing? How did MAN achieve such great architecture? How did MEN do this, that and the other thing that they obviously didn't even do?"

Argh. BIOLOGY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. And since biology shapes culture, neither does history. Arghghhghg.

I do highly recommend the cartoon history books by Larry Gonick. He can't make up for the lack of scholarship by historians through the ages, but he does his best to draw attention to the discrepancy everywhere along the way.